Erol Alkan Forum
The movies you've seen recently thread - Printable Version

+- Erol Alkan Forum (http://erolalkan.co.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: Index (/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: The movies you've seen recently thread (/showthread.php?tid=22235)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32

RE: The movies you've seen recently thread - sixs - 2012-01-23 08:55:23

RE: The movies you've seen recently thread - Hubee - 2012-01-23 18:09:27

thought 50/50 was really good, I agree Rogan plays the same character in most of his films but I still find him funny, found it to be a pretty emotional film at times as well

Rise of the planet of the apes was brilliant too, had a 'stop the film and check IMDB' moment to see if that was really draco malfoy in it

RE: The movies you've seen recently thread - Slick - 2012-01-23 18:26:53

Watched "Anchorman" and "The Big Lebowski" while my friends were stoned monkeys and me just being sober. Loved both movies. :)

RE: The movies you've seen recently thread - Niko - 2012-01-23 21:35:18

War Horse - Beautiful film. Very touching and full of heart and soul but it has its weak moments though. One of them is that the german soldiers speak english to one another which is often seen and quite normal for english-language film but i hate that, it's just not authentic. Still a good film, see it!

RE: The movies you've seen recently thread - Slick - 2012-01-23 21:51:50

(2012-01-23 21:35:18)Niko Wrote:  War Horse - Beautiful film. Very touching and full of heart and soul but it has its weak moments though. One of them is that the german soldiers speak english to one another which is often seen and quite normal for english-language film but i hate that, it's just not authentic. Still a good film, see it!

It's what ruined "Valkyrie" right from the start.

RE: The movies you've seen recently thread - housecat87 - 2012-01-23 22:03:03

can anyone reccomend an easy watch? something light hearted, perhaps a comedy that isnt utter shit like most hollywood comedies of late. quite fancy seeing 50/50 but cant be assed watching seth rogan do his shtick for however long the film is.

RE: The movies you've seen recently thread - Niko - 2012-01-24 09:13:26

(2012-01-23 22:03:03)housecat87 Wrote:  can anyone reccomend an easy watch? something light hearted, perhaps a comedy that isnt utter shit like most hollywood comedies of late. quite fancy seeing 50/50 but cant be assed watching seth rogan do his shtick for however long the film is.

these are good:

He Was a Quiet Man
Stranger Than Fiction
Everything Must Go
Burn After Reading
I Love You Man

RE: The movies you've seen recently thread - housecat87 - 2012-01-24 14:12:52

seen stranger, burn after and love you man, all decent. ended up going for 'the wackness', really good watch about a pot dealing teenagers summer in new york in '94. olivia thirlby is soo fine, fell in love with her character

RE: The movies you've seen recently thread - Niko - 2012-01-24 19:59:36

The real Oscar nominations. Slightly (or very) different than the one i posted a couple of weeks ago.

Best Picture
"The Artist"
"The Descendants"
"Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close"
"Hugo"
"Midnight in Paris"
"The Help"
"Moneyball"
"War Horse"
"The Tree of Life"

Best Actor
Demian Bichir, "A Better Life"
George Clooney, "The Descendants"
Jean Dujardin, "The Artist"
Gary Oldman, "Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy"
Brad Pitt, "Moneyball"

Best Actress
Glenn Close, "Albert Nobbs"
Viola Davis, "The Help"
Rooney Mara, "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo"
Meryl Streep, "The Iron Lady"
Michelle Williams, "My Week With Marilyn"

Best Director
Woody Allen, "Midnight in Paris"
Michel Hazanavicius, "The Artist"
Terrence Malick, "The Tree of Life"
Alexander Payne, "The Descendants"
Martin Scorsese, "Hugo"

J. Edgar isn't nominated at all, i haven't seen it yet so i can't judge now but Midnight in Paris surprisingly gets a nomination and i don't think it deserved it.
According the critics The Artist is the biggest favorite for best film and Clooney and Streep in their categories.

RE: The movies you've seen recently thread - housecat87 - 2012-01-27 03:24:38

just seen this on the book of faces. not sure what to think, really excited yet feel a sense of impending disappointment

RE: The movies you've seen recently thread - R0B0 - 2012-01-31 15:49:57

Unfortunately, I think it's an advert for Honda - here's the extended commercial.

RE: The movies you've seen recently thread - DiscoCreep - 2012-01-31 19:37:08

(2012-01-12 11:49:02)Niko Wrote:  
(2012-01-10 23:31:27)DiscoCreep Wrote:  If Drive does not even get a nomination for best picture then the Academy can get to fuck.

a fanboy faces the riality.

Yep, the "reality" that the Academy is once again sticking to the usual safe but completely undeserving films.
In a few years just look back at 2011 and remember the standout films, like Drive, Shame, 50/50, Warrior or Tinker, Tyler, Soldier, Spy. There are others to that are alot more deserving than the likes of Hugo which me and the old man reckon is easily Scorceses worst and my nephew was just plain bored in the cinema. War Horse is just Speilburg by numbers only the cheese in turned up to the full, I can't take any film about a horse serioulsy tho.
Haven't seen Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close only because the trailer looks awful.
Decendants ? George Clooney cannot act, unless he happens to be nothing like the one character he's played in every film he's ever been in.
I also thought Hollywood had moved on from the whole "race" thing. Saw this poster, made me lol...
[Image: the-help.jpg]

The Artist will probably win just for the fact that it looks like it was made in the 30's.
I did like Moneyball tho, I think Brad Pitt can be a good actor when he tries.

Since I'm already on a rant, guess what all these films have in common?
Serpico, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, Full Metal Jacket, Boyz N the Hood, Leaving Las Vegas, The Usual Suspects, Se7en, Trainspotting,The People vs. Larry Flynt, Boogie Nights, The Truman Show, The Big Lebowski, The Talented Mr. Ripley, Being John Malkovich, Almost Famous, The Passion of the Christ, Walk The Line, Pan's Labyrinth, American Gangster, The Dark Knight, The Wrestler...and many more...
None of them got even a nomination for best picture the year they came out, but whats even funnier is when you look at what films did.

Think this is my longest post ever lol. I love films, hate when great ones dont get the recognition they deserve.

RE: The movies you've seen recently thread - jamiebb - 2012-01-31 19:55:59

Watched 30 Minutes Or Less a few weeks back, really good comedy with a pretty unique and very talented cast...check it out.

RE: The movies you've seen recently thread - Niko - 2012-01-31 21:47:24

@DiscoCreep

I agree. Many great films has been neglected by the Academy through the years. Some of the films you mentioned - Trainspotting, The Wrestler... really deserved nomination for best picture but they still were nominated in other categories which is also success. My favorite film of all times Gran Torino wasn't nominated at all. And inversely, many crap films has been nominated. But those are exceptions. This year particularly i think that best picture category really represents the best films of the year. I still have some to watch though.

I last watched The Artist and i wasn't impressed at all. Not a bad film but way too overpraised. It will be one of the weakest films ever won that award if that is gonna happen.

RE: The movies you've seen recently thread - DiscoCreep - 2012-01-31 22:16:10

(2012-01-31 21:47:24)Niko Wrote:  @DiscoCreep

I agree. Many great films has been neglected by the Academy through the years. Some of the films you mentioned - Trainspotting, The Wrestler... really deserved nomination for best picture but they still were nominated in other categories which is also success. My favorite film of all times Gran Torino wasn't nominated at all. And inversely, many crap films has been nominated. But those are exceptions. This year particularly i think that best picture category really represents the best films of the year. I still have some to watch though.

I last watched The Artist and i wasn't impressed at all. Not a bad film but way too overpraised. It will be one of the weakest films ever won that award if that is gonna happen.

I wouldn't say they were exceptions as it happens much too frequently. I really think this years best picture nomination list is the poorest in years tbh and the lack of nominations for Drive in particular I'd put down to pure movie snobbery. I still like watching the awards but always end up lol'ing at the winners.

RE: The movies you've seen recently thread - Zulu-Cow - 2012-02-01 15:15:12

did some research on what else Jermaine from flight of the conchords had been in and watched this the other day. Pretty awesome.

RE: The movies you've seen recently thread - R0B0 - 2012-02-03 00:18:15

Contagion http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1598778/

Really enjoyed it. Was a bit drawn out at points. Some really good shots (i.e. the shot following the van through some streets). Music was pretty chilling at times and really added to it...

Also, had no idea Demetri Martin was playing a role in it.

RE: The movies you've seen recently thread - CanwllCorfe - 2012-02-05 02:35:32

Thanks to Kamex, housecat87, and benben for the suggestions! I'll definitely be checking them out.

RE: The movies you've seen recently thread - Niko - 2012-02-13 22:53:59

hahaha looking forward to see this. great cast, should be fun.

RE: The movies you've seen recently thread - Guy (Boratto?) - 2012-02-19 00:18:01

Finally got round to seeing Hotel Rwanda

Proper rubbish

Just shows how far mainstream cinema has come in the last 7/8 years, i remember there being a proper buzz about it when it came out.

RE: The movies you've seen recently thread - wonkyy - 2012-02-19 03:48:37

rewatched tim burton's Batman and i like nicholson joker more..

RE: The movies you've seen recently thread - DiscoCreep - 2012-02-19 04:18:18

(2012-02-19 03:48:37)wonkyy Wrote:  rewatched tim burton's Batman and i like nicholson joker more..

[Image: Hipster-Hobbits.png]

RE: The movies you've seen recently thread - Evangelink - 2012-02-21 13:58:47

Watched the Hangover 2 the other day. Didn't really get it, beyond stupid at times. Lowpoint was when a character who suffered a serious, disfiguring injury was completely fine about it as they were so happy getting wasted the night before with the guys.

RE: The movies you've seen recently thread - Hubee - 2012-02-21 14:13:09

Current top trailers on IMDB are 'Abe Lincoln : Vampire hunter' and what I can only describe as Se7en but with EA Poe as the protagonist

wtf?

RE: The movies you've seen recently thread - DiscoCreep - 2012-02-21 23:56:09

This was amazing