Erol Alkan Forum
Kidz By Collette Blog.. - Printable Version

+- Erol Alkan Forum (http://erolalkan.co.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: Index (/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Kidz By Collette Blog.. (/showthread.php?tid=3095)

Pages: 1 2 3

Kidz By Collette Blog.. - Duke Dumont - 2007-06-05 17:08:22

Anyone who is in the know, or from the man himself,...Do you get permission from the respective artists to blog their music?

cheers..

Kidz By Collette Blog.. - fraulein - 2007-06-05 22:46:09

Duke Dumont Wrote:Anyone who is in the know, or from the man himself,...Do you get permission from the respective artists to blog their music?

cheers..
cool thing you mention this duke, well the guy anakin has a couple of friends he posts from you know the usual home, garden and kitchen remixers... all the other things are stolen from other blogs... just ask the man roppenzo from the put the needle on the record blog...

Kidz By Collette Blog.. - Rubicon - 2007-06-06 02:13:57

Haha...

Most of the tracks are set rips/myspace rips/'borrowed' from others blogs.

I think he said his boss was Pedro too?

clickclikcbumpboom*ediT*clicklcik

Kidz By Collette Blog.. - snob dee-jays - 2007-06-06 07:35:52

so this blog has nothing to do with that shop in Paris "collette"?

Kidz By Collette Blog.. - KidzbyColette - 2007-06-06 07:57:27

Not affiliate :)

Kidz By Collette Blog.. - Duke Dumont - 2007-06-06 10:13:00

KidzbyColette Wrote:Not affiliate :)
hi man..do you want to give a bit of background to the site and stuff, here it in your own words?

Kidz By Collette Blog.. - andy8271 - 2007-06-06 10:34:52

i always wondered how blogs get away with posting full fairly decent mp3s of tracks that blatantly dont need the hype and are available to buy on i tune,bleep etc for cheap anyway

Kidz By Collette Blog.. - casper_c - 2007-06-06 11:01:55

The blog isn;t actually connected to any label, or shop... It's just a shrewd nme designed to smokescreen people it would seem.

Kidz By Collette Blog.. - onetwo3four - 2007-06-06 14:00:46

im thankful for these blogs. before them i didnt really buy music, now i do and i know a lot more about labels/djs that i otherwise wouldn't have known about.

in simple, they do a good job, plus, downloading songs, even at 320 just isn't the same as owning the vinyl. (maybe its as good as owning the cd though)

Kidz By Collette Blog.. - snob dee-jays - 2007-06-06 15:00:09

i have nothing against the blog ... really like the vidoe's and artwork it feature's
cool music too .. if its good i'll buy it ..

Kidz By Collette Blog.. - Duke Dumont - 2007-06-06 17:15:22

i've chatted to a few people, and just heard that this blog:

*doesnt get any permission from any artist/label to blog material*

*it is in no way affilated with any label, in particular Ed Banger*

*he is not employed by Pedro Winter, as he claims he is*

admitedly, I stumbled onto this thinking it was an off-branch to the fashion brand, and affilated with Ed Banger, but the fact that Ive been told otherwise, this blog appears to be a complete fascade/smokescreen, to draw people in..

for stuff like this, it scares me, when you brake it down and think, at least 3/4 of DJs use CDJs or a laptop, thus, if a song is made readily available 3/4 of the potential buyer's wont need to buy it, having a huge inpact on sales, both vinyl and digital...

the argument is, it's promotion....but honestly its not, its a replacement, because the mp3s arent 128kpbs or lower, or only a teaser of the song...they are playable..

other blogs, such as Fluokids, Discobelle , etc make sure that whoever is behind the music, gets asked for permission..and I take my hat of to them for this because there is actually work involved in doing this...and this isnt negative in any form..

im sure anyone would get pissed off if someone was skimming from your salary, so why is this different...it isnt...

and as much as im guessing the person behind this blog is obviously a fan of the music he is blogging, he obviously isnt that big a fan, when he is also taking away from it, to feed his ego...if you are a true fan, and want to promote the music, and genre, post half a song..

of course, if anything I have said about this blog is incorrect, say otherwise...i'm only going from what i've been told..

Kidz By Collette Blog.. - andy8271 - 2007-06-06 17:46:59

the right thing for the blogs too do is review the track then just link to the shops that sell it.....

i mean what mp3 selling shop doesnt have previews anyway ?

if the record labels have given them permission to post the mp3 then thats imo fine , infact credit to the record label for giving us something for free

Kidz By Collette Blog.. - mcmcmc - 2007-06-06 21:54:23

Duke Dumont Wrote:admitedly, I stumbled onto this thinking it was an off-branch to the fashion brand, and affilated with Ed Banger
now i don't feel as embarassed for assuming the same..

Kidz By Collette Blog.. - Rubicon - 2007-06-07 00:17:51

Yeah, he doesn't.

I make sure, with my little blogging adventure, to:
- get the artist's approval (if applicable)
- never post more than 128kbs, if its new/unreleased
- actually post something about the tune, as opposed to juts posting 18 different links each day
- try and feature stuff that hasn't been blogged to death

Kidz By Collette Blog.. - BarronVonStroke - 2007-06-07 01:13:05

i find it useful when blogs also provide links to where you can buy the music, blogs are kind of a way of trying before you buy though, they do have a knock on effect, as you discover unknown artists which may of never got any attention through other media.

Kidz By Collette Blog.. - Mat Payne - 2007-06-07 01:17:31

Some blogs are great others not so, I like Stockholm Beat Connection, he always puts up stuff you don't get anywhere else too.

Kidz By Collette Blog.. - Mat Payne - 2007-06-07 01:17:32

Some blogs are great others not so, I like Stockholm Beat Connection, he always puts up stuff you don't get anywhere else too.

Kidz By Collette Blog.. - Rubicon - 2007-06-07 06:52:22

Example of a bad blog: http://www.vanmiert.blogspot.com/

Especially the bottom, sharing a dozen or so full albums...geez.

edit: and the little fucker stole my disclaimer..lol

Kidz By Collette Blog.. - Rory - 2007-06-07 08:12:34

Duke Dumont Wrote:other blogs, such as Fluokids, Discobelle , etc make sure that whoever is behind the music, gets asked for permission..and I take my hat of to them for this because there is actually work involved in doing this...and this isnt negative in any form..
why have you chosen to single out this blog in paticulair? mp3 blogs by their very nature very rarely ask for permission from the artists, choosing to post a disclaimer instead. i also doubt that EVERYTHING on fluokids/discobelle has been posted with the artist's blessing, just because they may have gained your permission in the past.

Kidz By Collette Blog.. - 4man! - 2007-06-07 09:03:24

ninjacharlie Wrote:Especially the bottom, sharing a dozen or so full albums...geez.
Ah well looks like your comment had some effect on him!

"Some dude complained about my mp3

Kidz By Collette Blog.. - andy8271 - 2007-06-07 13:48:20

rory Wrote:
Duke Dumont Wrote:other blogs, such as Fluokids, Discobelle , etc make sure that whoever is behind the music, gets asked for permission..and I take my hat of to them for this because there is actually work involved in doing this...and this isnt negative in any form..
why have you chosen to single out this blog in paticulair? mp3 blogs by their very nature very rarely ask for permission from the artists, choosing to post a disclaimer instead. i also doubt that EVERYTHING on fluokids/discobelle has been posted with the artist's blessing, just because they may have gained your permission in the past.
think its just because he was surprised at the fact its not actually related to the Collete shop and ed banger like most of us thought

i like a few others in here didnt realize that was the case until this thread

Kidz By Collette Blog.. - Duke Dumont - 2007-06-07 15:20:35

rory Wrote:
Hi Rory,

I've singled out this blog, because of the level of deception that appears to be going on..But like I said before, I'm only going by what I've been told, so if I'm incorrect in anyway, please let me know, I dont want to be making false accusations...

With regards to the Fluokids/Discobelle description, yep I agree permission isn't always obtained..But I have only ever witnessed this if it is a massive pop song, such as Timbalake, T.I., Rick Ross etc...Im not fully aware of the intricate business model of the music industry, but I'm guessing with these kind of acts, any damage is minute, and these guys will still be seen with their 24 inch rims on "Cribs".. Whereas with smaller acts where record sales are dependent on the bedroom DJ population buying the record, the impact is much greater.. As far as I know, the previously mentioned blogs don't blog this type of music without permission...

Kidz By Collette Blog.. - the_viscount - 2007-06-07 15:34:56

Duke Dumont Wrote:
KidzbyColette Wrote:Not affiliate :)
hi man..do you want to give a bit of background to the site and stuff, here it in your own words?
Don't see any reply from KidzbyCollette??..........

Kidz By Collette Blog.. - Rory - 2007-06-07 15:36:26

the bigger name blogs probably seek permission for smaller stuff now because a) the blog scene is so saturated and they would benefit from an exclusive and b) they have a mucher higher profile now among the kind of people making dance 12's so they feel they have to but i doubt they did this when they were starting out. what i'm trying to say is by all means call out kids by collette if you feel that they are lying to people (i know nothing abouit them) but don't be so morally outraged when they post an mp3 of an artist without permission, as this is what 95+% of mp3 blogs do and have been doing for the last few years.

Kidz By Collette Blog.. - Sujo - 2007-06-07 15:48:07

Basically 99% of online blogs do not ask for permission to post the tracks. Hence why they have the disclaimer. Its along the lines of the saying "its always easier to ask for forgiveness then permission". In allot of cases the labels do not mind people posting the singles on blogs for the simple reason that they are so low quality that the majority of djs will not play out with them. Also if a dj is playing vinyl he will go out and buy the vinyl even if he does have a downloaded copy. Also in many cases djs that play cdjs will buy copies because the previously mentioned sound quality limitations.

Music getting posted on blogs is a fundamental part of the present day dance music industry. Especially so in the scene that we all take part in. As smaller labels do not have the massive budget to plug upcoming artists all over magazine covers and radio top 40 shows blog culture is one of the easiest ways for labels to gain promotion.

Also for the general public it is advantages because in what is commonly known as a niche market it can be hard to find new and similar tracks of a artists you like. Blog house has even supposedly spawned its own style of music (look up blog house on wikipedia)

Annnnndddd thats my 2p folks.